Cherry and Beetroot Extract
The Cherry and Beetroot Extract combines beetroot powder and extract (10:1), with Montmorency (sour) cherry powder and extract (10:1), to provide a concentrated formula – 4500mg per capsule.
These superfoods, Cherry and Beetroot Extract, are then complimented by the addition of three nutritive allies in the same formula – vitamin B6, black pepper powder and turmeric extract (95% curcumin) – to provide additional support for the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, energy-yielding metabolism, immunity, red blood cell formation, the nervous system, hormonal activity, protein and glycogen metabolism and more.
Cherry and Beetroot Extract is high in bioavailable antioxidants (including anthocyanins) and contains non-irritating iron, while the black pepper increases the absorption and utilisation of the beneficial ingredients in the formula.
Cherry and Beetroot Extract is a combination cherry and beetroot capsules are particularly popular with athletes, because of the high levels of dietary nitrate present in beetroot, the anti-inflammatory agents present in Montmorency cherry and the high levels of antioxidants present in both. Allied with vitamin B6, black pepper powder and turmeric extract, this supplement offers those who place high demands on their body a winning combination for high energy levels, stamina, immunity and general well-being. The pigments in beetroot are known as betalains and there are two color types. Betacyanins, which are vibrant red/violet in color, and betaxanthins, which are yellow in color. Both forms of betalains contain nitrogen and they work as both antioxidants and anti-inflammatories. Beetroot is also jammed packed full of nitrate – this is what will be converted into nitric oxide and that is where we begin.
# Approved EFSA health claim:
- Vitamin B6 contributes to the normal function of the immune system, the regulation of hormonal activity, normal cysteine synthesis, normal energy-yielding metabolism, normal homocysteine metabolism, normal protein and glycogen metabolism and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. Click here and here for EFSA scientific opinions.
Cherry and Beetroot Extract contains Beetroot extract that is a great source of many essential vitamins and minerals.
- Folate (vitamin B9). One of the B vitamins, folate is important for normal tissue growth and cell function. It’s particularly necessary for pregnant women
- Manganese. An essential trace element, manganese is found in high amounts in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
- Potassium. A diet high in potassium can lead to reduced blood pressure levels and positive effects on heart health
- Iron. An essential mineral, iron has many important functions in your body. It’s necessary for the transport of oxygen in red blood cells.
- Vitamin C. This well-known vitamin is an antioxidant that is important for immune function and skin health
Antioxidants and nutrients
- Beetroot is a rich source of potent antioxidants (such as betanin, the pigment that gives beetroot its deep colour) and other essential nutrients, including magnesium, manganese, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, soluble fibre, calcium, iron, vitamins A, B and C, folic acid and betaine.
Heart health, blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Beetroot’s carotenoids and flavonoids can help to reduce the oxidation of LDL cholesterol, which could lead to damaged artery walls and ultimately heart attacks and strokes. In particular beet fibre has been shown to have cholesterol-lowering capabilities. Similarly, betaine, a nutrient found in beetroot, lowers plasma homocysteine, a possible risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Beetroot has also been shown to lower blood pressure and thereby help to prevent cardiovascular problems. This is likely to be because the high content of dietary nitrate in beetroot produces a gas called nitric oxide in the blood, which widens blood vessels and lowers blood pressure.
- While beetroot is certainly notable for its high nutrient content, it is its capacity to absorb and store exceptionally high levels of dietary nitrate that earns it the “super-root” title. Studies have demonstrated the positive effects that beetroot can have on exercise performance and muscle growth, as a result of this nutrient. For example, in a recent study conducted by Exeter University, scientists found that cyclists who drank a half-litre of beetroot juice several hours before setting off, were able to ride up to 16% longer than those who drank a placebo blackcurrant juice. As a result, beetroot is now actively used by many athletes as a dietary supplement, during times of extreme training when demands for energy and fast recovery are high.
Liver function (detoxification)
- Several studies have shown that betaine (a nutrient found in high levels in beetroot) supports healthy liver function, particularly where there is a build-up of fatty deposits in the liver caused by alcohol abuse, protein deficiency or diabetes, among other causes. When the liver is functioning properly, fats are broken down efficiently, promoting natural weight loss, preventing fatigue and supporting body detoxification. Beetroot is also naturally rich in alkaline elements, making it a great addition to any cleanse and detox programme.
Antioxidants and nutrients
- Montmorency cherries are extraordinarily rich in antioxidants, which fight free radicals in the body and can therefore help to prevent disease and slow the ageing process. Research shows that Montmorency cherries have very high ORAC (oxygen radical absorption capacity) values – you would have to eat more than 20 average portions of other fruit and vegetables to get the same amount of antioxidants as you get in one portion of Montmorency cherries. In particular, they are one of the few natural food sources of:
- the potent antioxidant melatonin, which helps to maintain the body’s circadian rhythms and improve sleep cycles; and
- the class of compounds, Superoxide Dismutases, which act as “super scavengers” of harmful free radicals, destroying them throughout the body.
Montmorency cherries also contain potent phytonutrients, including anthocyanins (natural pigments) and other phenolic and flavanoid compounds. Anthocyanins have powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which may help to maintain healthy joint function, mobility and flexibility, reduce inflammation and ease the pain of arthritis. They are also thought to lower urate levels in the body and are therefore often used as a remedy for gout.
- They are an excellent source of beta carotene (they contain 19x the beta carotene of blueberries).
- They are rich in vitamins C and E (two of the most powerful antioxidants found in nature).
- They are a good source of potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and dietary fibre.
- They reduce the risk of diabetes and insulin resistance syndrome.
- They are low in sugar, sodium and calories.
- They support healthy cardiovascular function.
- They offer protection against heart disease.
- They support memory and other brain functions.
Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 contributes to the normal function of the immune system, the regulation of hormonal activity, normal cysteine synthesis, normal energy-yielding metabolism, normal homocysteine metabolism, normal protein and glycogen metabolism and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
Turmeric: Turmeric is perhaps most commonly associated with its anti-inflammatory actions. Inflammation is the body’s natural response to injury or infection, often causing localised redness, swelling, pain or heat. It may also cause loss of function of the involved tissues.
Black pepper: Black pepper is the fruit of the black pepper plant from the Piperaceae family. Piperine is the alkaloid within black pepper that is responsible for its pungency. It increases thermogenic activity in the body and is therefore often included in weight loss formulas – thermogenesis is the way of developing cellular energy and this results in an increase in the metabolic rate of the body. Black pepper is also a very good anti-inflammatory agent. while piperine boosts the bioavailability of curcumin.
As such, for best results of Cherry and Beetroot Extract it should ideally be combined with our great-tasting and filling Vegan Superfood protein powder blends which:
- are dairy-free
- are non-GMO
- contain no added sugar
- contain no artificial colours
- contain no artificial sweeteners etc.
60 capsules per pot
1 capsule to be taken 1 – 3 times per day (preferably with food) or as advised by a health practitioner.
Each capsules provides: %NRV*
Vitamin B6 – 2mg 142%
*NRV = Nutrient Reference Value
Beetroot extract 10:1 (equivalent to 2250mg beetroot powder) – 225mg
Montmorency cherry extract 10:1 (equivalent to 2250mg cherry powder) – 225mg
Black pepper powder – 5mg
Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) extract 10:1 (95% curcumin) (equivalent to 50mg turmeric powder of which 4.75mg curcuminoids) – 5mg
Ingredients: Beetroot Extract (10:1), Montmorency Cherry Extract (10:1), Capsule Shell: Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (HPMC) (Vegetarian), Anti-caking Agent: Magnesium Stearate (Magnesium salts of fatty acids) (vegetable source), Black Pepper Powder, Turmeric Extract 10:1 (95% Curcumin), Vitamin B6 Pyridoxine Hcl.
Contains no added: artificial colours, flavourings, preservatives, dairy products, gluten, lactose, soya, sugar, wheat or yeast.
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.